Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Having just read Brian Mclaren's article "Lost in translation - are there any new ways to talk about Jesus' good news?" at Sojo.net, it got me thinking on what metaphor would be fitting in an African context for Kingdom?

Maybe we could speak of the "TRIBE" of God?

As a white South African, brought up with a western worldview, my suggestion is from someone who is more on the outside than the inside. I do not by any standard want to create the idea that I know anything about it, but I think we need to explore new ways of talking of God's Kingdom. Our suburbs are getting more and more diverse and to be authentic in it we have the responsibility to speak a language that speaks to the heart of all.

So why could the metaphor of a "tribe" work to describe the Kingdom of God? Well, a tribe has a chief as their leader. In our story we have a Chief who is loving and just - concerned about all in the tribe. In God's tribe everyone is equal, and everyone plays an important role. The idea of ubuntu - where I am what I am because of what we are together fits well with tribe-language. The idea behind ubuntu is that it is not good enough that I alone am rich, well, prosperous - everyone in the tribe needs to be whole.

I havent done research on this, and would love others point of view, suggestions, correction?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jacques

I like the suggestion "tribe" - am looking for something a little less...I don't know..."old"? if that makes sense? "Kraal" doesn't work and the more I think about it is just plain silly...

It would great to look into what sort of traditional African hope there is for heaven, what it looks like etc. I like Rosalie's thoughts on what a tribe is.

Margaret Feinberg said...

Ubuntu...wow what a great word and concept.